Unlike Hyde, Hydejack is very opinionated about how you are going to use it.
- Touch-enabled sidebar / drawer for mobile, including fallback when JS is disabled.
- Github Pages compatible tag support based on this post.
- Customizable link color and sidebar image, per-site, per-tag and per-post.
- Optional author section at the bottom of each post.
- Optional comment section powered by Disqus.
- Layout for posts grouped by year
- Wide array of social media icons on sidebar.
- Math blocks via KaTeX.
Hydejack is developed on and hosted with GitHub. Head to the GitHub repository
for downloads, bug reports, and feature requests.
I love the original Hyde theme, but unfortunately the layout isn’t as great on small screens.
Since the sidebar moves to the top, the user has to scroll down just to read the title of a blog post.
By using a drawer component I was able to retain the original two column layout.
Since the background image contributes to the feel of the page I’m letting it peek over the edge a bit.
This also provides a hint to the user that an interaction is possible.
You can configure important aspects of the theme via
- the blog description in the sidebar
- the (optional) author description and photo
- default image and link color of the blog
- the github and twitter usernames
How to Change the Image and Color of a Post
In the manifest of a blog post, simply add an url as
image and a CSS color as
layout: post title: Introducing Hydejack image: https://qwtel.com/hydejack/assets/img/hyde.jpg color: '#949667'
How to Add a New Tag
Tags are not meant to be used #instagram #style: #food #goodfood #happy #happylife #didimentionfood #yougetthepoint,
as each tag requires some setup work. I tend to think of it as categories that can be combined.
Add an entry to
_data/tags.yml, where the key represents a slug and provide at least a
mytag: name: My Tag
Make a new file in the
tagfolder, using the same name you’ve used as the key / slug and
layout: blog-by-tag tag: mytag permalink: /tag/mytag/
Tag your blog posts using the
tagskey (color and image will only depend on the first tag).
layout: post title: Introducing My New Tag tags: [mytag, othertag]
(optional) Add the tag to the sidebar, by adding it to
They will appear in the listed order.
sidebar_tags: [mytag, othertag]